Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

11.9.05

Suprise Party

Friday afternoon, just before my first class, the boss informed me that the entire hagwon was going out that night as a farewell party. He closed the hagwon early and drove Claire and I to a Hop'eu in Miryeong-dong. There they served us beer, soju, chicken and fruit, while we sat and talked. I was made to give a speech, while Diana translated. This made me feel awkward...I really wish I was good enough to say the entire speech in Korean myself. In my speech I pointed out that all the teachers work very hard and deserve credit for it. I have given up trying to persuade the Boss to at least treat the Korean teachers like human beings and not like dogs. This was my final message to him, if somewhat subtle.

After the speech I blew out candles on the cake. I have a photo of this, but unfortunately its a blurred action shot. Some time later the Boss made me drink a 폭탕/bomb, a shot of liquor poured into half a pint of beer, to be drunk in one shot. He poured one for me and one for himself, and told me to drink it. "Korean tradition" he insisted "we must drink together". I flapped my arms claiming " 못해요, 못해요!!!"/I can't do it, I can't do it! After futher huffing and puffing from the Boss, I beat him in downing it in one, to a round of applause from my colleagues.

I held hands with each member of my team as I spoke to them. I really will miss them. A few tears were shed, but not on my part, as even at that point, it still hadn't dawned on me that I am leaving. "who sent you?" one of them said."you're wonderful." "i-to-i" I replied, not knowing what else to say. Comments like this make me panic and feel shy, I always wonder if I truely deserve them. In between chatting with my team, I observed the Boss posturing in his drunken stupour, making his thoughts known about Love, Life and The Universe, to a bored audience. In fact one member of my team was resting on one of the maths teacher's shoulder, dozing off while he swung his weight around.

I was very appreciative of the party he threw, but I was not as appreciative as I could have been, as it was probably another ploy to get me to work for his hagwon again. He has my email address and parent's phone number, so I wouldn't be suprised if I get a phone call from him at some point, promising the world if I come back and work for him. But you see, there is nothing he can offer me that will persuade me...all I want is a dinner-break in my schedule, and this is something he will not provide. Plus after him making me work illegally, and trying to hold my passport and immigration card ransom, how can I possibly place 100% trust in him?

I will buy a cake for all of my colleagues, and a small present for each of my team. They are fantastic, and they deserve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home