Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

4.9.05

Passing on the Knowledge


Yesterday was my first day of induction for Claire. I am to train her not only at work, but introduce her to new friends and introduce her to the Korean way of life. There is so much for me to show her, and a week is not long enough. I really need a month with her. On top of that I am teaching her the Korean alphabet and some basic phrases....a lot of information for her to take in. My head is spinning with everything I must get done: get the Thailand tour intinery sorted with Claire's help, pack everything I cannot carry, withdraw enough money in US Dollars and US Dollar Travellers Cheques to keep me going until I find a cash machine in the Phillippenes, plus extra for emergency. (The rest I will transfer to my HSBC current account, so I can access it while I am travelling). Despite Claire's arrival and training, it still has not settled with me that I am really leaving the place I have called home for the past year.

Saturday morning was spent teaching some of the Korean alphabet, then eating lunch at a Korean restaurant. On the way back from the restaurant, we bumped into another English girl for the first time...Jessica, who has been here for 2 weeks. In the afternoon, I introduced her to Dana briefly, then we went shopping in the town centre. I bought lots of clothes for the winter in England, and was suprised when Claire told me that the fashion in Korea is also popular in England. But hey....I will be fashionable for half the price! In the evening, we 3 English girls went out to the "Fishy Wife" the tradition-style Korean pub that has been mentioned in previous blogs, then to the Wa-Bar, followed by noraebang.

Today we ate in a different restaurant and bumped into Joseph and Susan. Joseph wants to get Claire involved in some self-defence martial arts, and I have decided to come along for the ride....it will come in handy for travelling, though hopefully I will never be in a situation where I have to use it. We will meet him 11.30 tomorrow morning; I am really looking forward to it.

Now the pair of us are sat in the PC bang updating our blogs ( I showed her how to set one up), but I still cannot believe that she is really here.

If you want to view Claire's blog, I have created a link to it in my side-bar...enjoy!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have browsed through your blog randomly from your arrival in Korea till now. I get the impression that living in Gunsan(which I've never been to even though I am a Korean) has led you to certain stereotypes about Koreans/Korea. Life in Seoul(espeically gangnam) is so much different from life in countryside like gunsan. There are many Koreans with open values and who are able to cherish diversities. I was especially surprised by your views on Korean women and the way Koreans think. I may have agreed with you if it had been 1970.
I mean c'mon it won't be long till Professor Hwang(most advanced in stem cell research in the world) succesfully clon human beings. it's 21 century!!

You're generalising Koreans in the little countryside of Korea..
Obviously there are ups and downs in every culture and conflicts don't happen because you're in Korea but it happens all around the world!! just with different issues that is.. Sensible, open minded people and retards co exists in every nation.
BTW, I really enjoyed your blog and hope you enjoy your stay in Korea while it lasts..
Sorry about my bad English.. I'm not really all that fluent.

2:40 am  
Blogger Louise said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:28 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

My god! your English is perfect! Really, I am not exhaggerating!

I realise that I am living in the country, but I the information about certain attitudes etc I also get from Korean friends in Seoul.

Of course there are ups and downs in every culture, the British culture has plenty of them. As I stated in a previous blog, utopia does not exist ie no culture is perfect.

Its just that the article I read from that newspaper..the men who were interviewed...it was quite laughable.

11:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home