Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

11.9.05

My Last Week


This week has been manic. As soon as I set time aside to sit down and update this website properly, someone phones me to meet me. Normally I would tell them to wait, but given everyone's differing schedules, I am grabbing as much time with people as I can in my last week, as I may never see them again. Even as I sit and write this, I only have an hour to write everything I want to say, as well as finish updating the blog I was half way through last time I tried to put time aside for this. At least I have a life outside the internet and the PC bang, which can only be a good thing!

This week, Jiwang managed to squeeze in a couple of hours to drive me to a local beach. The destination was a suprise, and I felt very happy when I got there...it was a nice finish to our time together. While I sat on the rock, he clambered to the top were there was a swarm of dragonflies. I have never seen a dragon-fly close up, so Jiwang spent 15 minutes trying to catch one, by circling his finger in the air. "If I do this, he will get dizzy" he said, but as always, I didn't believe him, and was suprised when the trick actually worked. He picked his way down the rock and showed me the dragonfly he had caught, trapped by the wings between finger and thumb. The poor thing looked quite disconcerted and bewildered as I took it's photo. Jiwang specifically wore his British flag trousers that day...I love it when he does that.

This week I also took Claire to a 갈비집/Fried Pork House, where I had the best kimchi I had ever tasted. It was hotter than normal with a full body of flavour, but without the strange after-taste. As we sat there I explained what the different side dishes were and how to eat the Kalbi: fry it on the barbecue, then place the kalbi in the middle of a lettuce leaf. Add other foods eg pepper, garlic, kimchi, scrunch to wrap, and then put the whole thing in your mouth. Delicious.
Every day this week I have either power-walked round Eunpa lake or attended 특공무술/Self-defence martial art, so that I would feel extra safe before setting out for my travels. I had no idea that this existed until one of the foreigners invited me to come along...I wish I had known earlier! To be honest I am finding it very difficult compared with the other beginners who started at the same time as me. There is no power whatsoever in my kicks, and very little technique either. I just have to accept the fact that I am hopeless at anything (other than dancing) that involves co-ordination. However, at least the knowledge is there.

My last week at hagwon was the usual routine, but with Claire there to watch. A couple of my students bought me a necklace, which you can see in one of my later photos, and I have received tons of pictures, letters and "Kajimayo"s (don't go!). My two 1-to-1 students gave me two huge slices of cake each (they are sisters), which due to an improvement in my diet, made me sick just looking at them. (Nevertheless, I enjoyed every tasty mouthful!). Over the course of the week I slowly introduced Claire into teaching the students, first by making her take same level of control of the mixed classes (by playing games), while I taught the levelled classes (with her observing) and then on Friday giving her autonomy with the 1-to-1 students. Next week I will give her full autonomy of all the classes, while I sit at the back and help her when needs it. It will be strange for me to keep my mouth shut while I watch her teach, as I am so used to being the one with the authority....but my last two days at the hagwon will be fairly restful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

anyone know how i can stop blog-spam?

9:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home