Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

10.5.05

Oh God, It's her!

Today I went to the bank to transfer a healthy sum of money to my English account. Normally my trip to the bank is never easy...I speak only basic level Korean, and their English level is even lower. A simple desposit of my monthly wages (paid to me in a combination of cash and cheques) can cause quite a cafuffle, and attending to me takes twice as long as serving everyone else. To the bank workers, I am a headache.

This time when I walked through the rotating door into the main waiting area, I was greeted with the obligitory smile and bow, but the smile was strained and the eyes wide with slight panic "Oh God, it's HER again". I dived into my bag and pulled out my Han-Yeong/Yoeng-Han dictionary. After riffling swiftly through the pages I found the word I needed. I then took my Korean bank book in one hand, my HSBC cheque book in the other, and with the appropriate motion said "Jeonhwan"/transfer slowly and deliberately (to avoid bad pronunciation).

The attendant twigged what I wanted and rushed me over to another desk. Here I filled out form, half in Roman letters and half in Hangul, but when I got to 'bank number' I ran into problems. Of course, the Koreans use American terminology and not English. I wondered if this is the same as 'sort-code' but the attendant tried to tell me that I did not need to write the sort code. With the help of my dictionary I argued that the sort-code is very important. Another attendant scurried over to try and help, and pointed to a table on the back of the form. Here it had all the different terminologies from the different English-speaking countries. 'Bank number' was indeed 'sort-code'.

So after all that hassle, I finally completed the form and for a small fee began the process of transferring the money. It's no wonder the look of disappointment everytime I walk through the door.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bank number is not American English either. We use the term Routing Number. Koreans tend to follow no conventions when translating forms, even on those that are quite important and official.

Joel

3:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was known to cry from time to time when faced with sending money home. So were others I knew.

6:36 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Joel, bloody typical...dont even get the american terminologies right ( i assumed it was american, sorry).

Anonymous: (Joel again?)

There was a distinct sinking feeling when I looked at my bank book after the transfer

9:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The anonymous was not me.

Joel

2:03 am  
Blogger hayanna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:46 pm  
Blogger hayanna said...

hilarious post =)
enjoyed reading it..
mind if i add ur link to my blog?

3:47 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Hayanna:
Thanks for reading my website. Feel free to add a link to my site. I will read yours when I have more time

xxx

9:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all thе time i used to rеad smalleг сontent that
as wеll clear their motive, and that iѕ alѕο hapρening
with this piece of wгitіng which I am reading at this time.


Alsо vіsit my homеpage; car transport

12:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this web site offеrѕ qualіty deρending aгticleѕ and eхtгa ԁаta, is
there anу other site whiсh gives ѕuch ѕtuff
іn quаlity?

Here is my web sіtе ... liv pure green coffee bean cleanse

12:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks on your mаrvelous postіng!
I trulу enϳoyеԁ reаding іt,
you will be a grеat authοг.Ι will always bookmark your blog and will eventuallу come baсk somеtimе
ѕoοn. I want tо encourage yоurѕelf to cοntinue
уour great poѕts, hаѵe а
nіce afternoon!

Feеl free to surf to mу ωeb blog :
: Car Insurance quotes

5:19 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

201510.27dongdong
coach outlet
uggs clearance
Cheap Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
uggs sale
Air Jordan 6 Champagne Bottle
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
Designer Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
coach outlet online
ugg boots
abercrombie store
tory burch sale
Louis Vuitton Online Shop Stores
michael kors bags
toms outlet
michael kors outlet
nike trainers
coach outlet store online
Louis Vuitton Official Site Outlet Stores
ugg boots
ugg boots sale
Louis Vuitton Outlet Stores Usa
Nike Kobe Bryant Basketball Shoes
Abercrombie and Fitch USA Outlet Store
Louis Vuitton Outlet Mall Store
Christian Louboutin Outlet Sale Cheap Online
Oakley Polarized Sunglasses Cheap Outlet Store

7:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home