Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

12.3.05

나는 이상한 여자 이에요

Last night (straight after work) I met some foreigners for the first time, two Philopeno, one German, the other Romanian..English being the common language between us. I did not sleep at all last night...it is now 9.12 in the morning...I partied for a solid 12 hours..my longest yet in my entire life. I think its time for bed...more on this later.

...13 hours later...

Last night was strange and refreshing. I was invited out by Marie, an American woman I met when I first got here but lost touch with...only to meet again upon bumping into Edward a few weeks ago. Last night she invited me out through Edward, whereupon I was greeted by a crowd of foreigners all residing in the Miryong dong area, or more specifically, the university campus and halls of residence. Sandra is from Germany and is lecturing German, Dana (from Romania) is a master student, Bobby (from the Philopenes) is a computer professor, and has brought his best computer graduate along with him to help with his research. Dana's potential Canadian boyfriend joined us later in the evening, having travelled from Seoul to meet up with her.

After drinks in "the hospital" (name of bar) we went onto Arabian Nights, the only night club in Gunsan, where they attempted to charge us W90,000 for 9 drinks (between the three of us),some snacks, and the table. We walked out complaining "빗산" (expensive) and shaking our heads in disgust. We wound up in Wa Bar, then the Noraebang until 5am. Following Noraebang Sandra and I went back to the university and chatted in her apartment unil 9am...her English is fantastic...almost fluent.

I have always been aware that English is recognised as THE language to learn, and is viewed as the language of commerce...but it really hit home last night how true it is. At the table last night there was 7 nationalites, 3 of which were native English-speaking, the rest were not (Korean, German, Romanian, Philopeno)...another reminder of how lucky I am to be fluent in English. I was always aware how fortunate it is to be a native English speaker, but up until last night I did not realise the full gravity of it.

Today I dragged myself out of bed at 4pm, sewed my coat, did some chores, studied Korean, visited Sandra for an hour, bumped into Bobby and went back to his apartment for pizza and DVDs.

Tomorrow (now today) I will study some more, practice Gomdo, complete my chores, and maybe go for a walk...

Koolio!