Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

2.2.05

Snow Way!

It has been snowing continually for the past 36 hours. Yesterday the wind howled and whipped up a storm. This morning, the snow had settled to several inches deep. I have taken photos of this....

Snow

This was taken immediately outside my building...it gives some indication of the depth of the snow.

Snow

Here you can see the trees in the distance in their pristine glory

Snow

The snow on this tree reminded me of a cotton plant

Snow

If it was not for the buildings this scene could come straight out of a children's fantasy tale

Yesterday morning was spent speaking to 3 different individuals from 3 different recruitment agencies, as well as a couple of lawyers about my situation (not mentioning my name of course). The unanimous advice was that if were to do things in a legal manner, I would have to request that my boss no longer sends me to the other school. If he continues to push me to do this then he is breaking the contract (previously he is not breaking the contract as I agreed to do it, even though it is not mentioned in his contract. Also verbal agreements often are worth more than contractual ones). Thus when I arrive at hagwon, the first thing I did was badger until I got his attention. I then had to persuade him that this conversation was to be taken IN PRIVATE. Once achieved I let him know that I no longer wish to work at Too Song Hagwon that I have found out for definate that it is illegal. His answer was to let him worry about it, but this was not good enough for me as if the "s### were to hit the fan" it would be me that would get into trouble (jail or hefty fine and sent home). After further kajooling he finally agreed that he would no long er send me there. Not that he would have had a choice, as even if he had not agreed, I would not have gone there and would have showed up at Chong Tap instead.

All in all, despite feeling like I am at breaking point, I have decided that if things don't get any worse I will stay here in Gunsan.

7.30 this morning I received a phone call from my mother....8.30 a phone call from my father....9.00 a phone call from Rob (though I wasn't there to answer it) and "happy birthday" in english from a few people (kids and trainers at Gomdo). Yesterday Hee Won (student) gave me five pieces of beautifully wrapped chocolate as a birthday present "so, can we play a game instead?". This I have a photo of...

Birthday

Four pieces of chocolate are sitting on the wrapping of the one I have already eaten.

The chocolate that has been sent to me from family members had also been eaten previous to my actual birthday after sitting there for 10 days winking at me. The stress of last week combined with PMT led me to reach for this welcome supply.

12.30 Jan-Nims wife tells me that she has not one, not two, but 3 presents for me!!!! wow!!!
Number 1 was some socks. Number 2 was a rather chocolatey birthday cake

bday 010

On the Eighth Day God said "Let there be cake! Let it be chocolate and bring much joy to Women who consume it, for none would knowth more pleasure than that of this food of heaven". Whose hand is that I wonder? Yep, you've guessed it. Ye-Reem's.

bday 007

Lighting the candles...

Gift number 3 was a red rose.

While I was sat at the dinner table, the fellas walked in, one at a time....Happy Birthday Louise!!! each bearing a red rose. (see photos later).

3 men, 3 roses, 1 very happy woman.

No wait...there is a fourth gift...the CD I have wanted for months: Troy Theme Music!!!

When I arrived at Hagwon I was suprised and delighted to find that my youngest 1 to 1 student had bought me a present...a rather cute notebook. Meanwhile I shared out the remainder of my cake with my colleagues. Despite not having really mentioned my birthday to my students, once word had spread many, if not most stopped me in the corridor to wish me a happy birthday...Korean kids can be so sweet...at times.

After treating myself to a "Birthday Burger" from Lotteria, (and bumping into some foreigners in Miryong for the first time), I arrived home at 8.30. 9pm the phone calls started (again). First up was Yeon-A, who gave me some fantastic news....She's pregnant with her first baby!!! Next was Sir Robert...then Sir Robert again. Meanwhile Ben tried to contact me and got nowhere....

So despite not really doing anything special for my birthday I felt really appreciated by so many different people. This meant far more to me than any kind of booze up at the local.

The next day...a set of smelly pens from a 3 to 1 student, and some handmade soap from a colleague.

Sunday...Eun-Jun, my colleague from my ex-other school arranged to meet me today and to my suprise she too presented me with a birthday present; Mango Body Butter from the Body Shop (expensive in Korea!). She told me that she knows that I like mangoes, and that I like the Body Shop, so putting the the two together...TaDa!

I guess I can count myself well and truely spoilled!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home