Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

5.2.05

I hate you teacher!!!!

None of my students have said this but I bet that this is what they are thinking.

This week I have stepped up the act.

No longer am I just getting them to learn their vocabluary and pronounce it correctly (as according to Scouse accent)...I am now working on intonation too. This is something I should have been working on anyway, I really can't think why I neglected it. You see, this is incredibly difficult for my students, even my grade A classes (top students), because when they speak their own language, the sentences are monotone right up until the last word, or even the last syllable, indicating the mood etc of the speaker. Meanwhile, native English speakers vary the tone through out the sentence (depending on mood, intended meaning etc).

Sniggers and giggles of embarrassment punctured the huffs and puffs at me making them vary their tone. They really did feel stupid...but I am employed to teach them how to talk as naturally as possible, and that is exactly what I intend to do. Every 5 minutes (literally) in the majority of my classes there was a plaintive cry of 'Game, please! Game!' from some corner of the classroom, which was duely ignored by myself up until the end (as we always play games in the last few minutes of each class).

Well, they have another 7 months of me then it will all be over...maybe...depending on the next teacher (Mmmmwwwwoooaaaahhh hahahaha!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home