Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

8.1.05

Jeonju National Museum

The title to this blog gives the link to the homepage of Jeonju National Museum.




Following 4 hours sleep, I got up at 9.30 this morning and was on the bus into Gunsan at 10.30, in order to get to Junju in good time to see the musuem. I was up late last night checking emails, writing blogs etc, so no sympathy for my lack of sleep is due. PC bangs give you free coffee every couple of hours, so I am wondering if it is all a big conspiracy...coffee keeps people awake thus increasing the time spent on the internet. I am almost convinced that this is the case. Which reminds me...where is my second cup???? I don't have to drink it of course, but the coffee is warm, while I am cold....

At the bus terminal I was hounded by some weirdo telling me how beautiful I am etc and following me round wherever I went. I breathed a sigh of relief when he did not follow me onto the coach to Junju. I spent the journey to Junju daydreaming and reading my Korea guidebook when not daydreaming. I get 3 days off in February for the Chinese New Year, and I want to make the most of this rare opportunity...hence the research.

When arrived in Junju I took the taxi to the museum, which is situated on the south-west edge of the city. It wasn't costly, around 3 quid, but everytime I spend money I wince with pain as I am desperately trying to save up.( I have worked out that I have to save 3million won before I start to make a profit...cost of travel insurance, admin, cash I arrived with etc taken into account. Next pay day in 5 days time will set me in the black...yey!!!). The taxi driver was chuffed when I stepped into his taxi and promptly placed a language tape into the player. He is trying to learn English, and made me say various phrases along with the tape for the entire length of the journey. I too got to practice my Korean.




When I stepped out of the car, the first thing I noticed about the museum is that it was built using traditional Korean architecture, despite it being only 15 years old. Once again I should have taken a photo of this and didn't. There was a long walk-way to the museum from the main gates, lined with trees strategicly placed to give an sense of sublime tranquility (I wonder if they used Feng Shui?). I turned 180 degrees and got a view of a small mountain behind some apartment blocks...this I managed to take a photo of!!!

View from National Museum

View from National Museum

On the bottom photo you can see the extensive walkway to the museum, and the care and planning it has taken to create such a calm and measured atmosphere.

Upon walking into the main building, I was thankful to find that there was a leaflet in English (as well as Korean, Chinese, and God Forbid, Japanese), and that some of the notices on the wall had also been translated into my crazy mother-tongue. Added to this, round the exhibition the panels next to the showcases were also in English. Very useful if I actually want to get something out of my visit.

The museum housed artifacts dating from the Neolithic period onwards; all artifacts were dug up somewhere in the Jeollobukdo province. There were swords, daggers, arrows, pottery, jewelry, farming tools, chinese calligraphy (even some conceived by the fair and majestic hands of emporers past), statues, idols and printing blocks. For me, the most amazing piece was bronze that had been hammered to a long, thin sheet (about 2m), and then had chinese writing imprinted into it somehow. One display showed traditonal dishes that were typical of the Korean diet some few hundreds years ago. I counted 13 different ways you can eat Kimchi. God help me.

I wasn't allowed to take photos inside the musuem, nor were there any English fact sheets/books in the sparce Museum Shop. As a result, everything that I could have learned has gone in ear and out the other without a back-up plan. Its such a shame as I would really like to learn more about traditon Korean culture of times past.

Once boredom set in I decided to head to one of the parks mentioned in my guidebook. To reduce the cost, in my wisdom, I concluded that it would be best to get the local bus back to the intercity bus terminal, and from there I would have a familiar starting point, as my guide book unhelpfully does not provide a map or directions as to how to get to the park. Naturally, I got on the wrong bus and ended up in a fish and vegetable market...but least I had headed in roughly the right direction. I have seen many a Korean market and thus accustomed to the sight of them, but realising that people back in England have never seen one, I took a couple of photos.

On the bridge

These ajummas were sat on the bridge round the corner from the main section of the market, selling their produce from their farms. This is also a common sight in Gunsan (mostly in the narrow back streets), I just haven't got round to taking photos of them.

City market scene 1

This colourful scene depicts the plethora of sights, sounds and smells of your typical Korean city market. Wandering from stall to stall, they seem to be selling mostly the same thing, yet suprisingly not bothering to compete with one another over prices. Fish (fresh and dried), cabbage (for Kimchi) , other vegetables and nuts feature most commonly in these markets (at least in the Jeollobukdo province).

City market scene

Another photo of the same market.

Giving in to common sense, I got in a taxi and asked for the bus terminal. Despite my little detour I had saved some money afterall...only for it to be wasted on spending far too long on the internet. The internet is so addictive...I can't help myself!!! I felt it wise to write this blog before my less-than-satisfactory memory failed me completely. I have given up on the idea of the park for today, as I don't have the energy. My bed in the next city is calling to me, and I am seduced by its warmth and coziness...

ps I will be adding photos to my dictionary where possible. My first two are of bondagi. I took these at Jeonju bus terminal, which has rows upon rows of the stuff. Upon approaching the building the sickly smell hits your nostrils...an insult to the senses. I have been to Jeonju 4 times now, and each time (after the first time) I approach the building with trepidation.




4 Comments:

Blogger taemin said...

Jeonju sounds like fun. Did you make it to Mount Horse Ears (ma ee sawn), near Jeonju?

9:05 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Not, will probably conquer these in April when the weather warms up. Have passed them in the car though, they truely are a spectualar and amusing sight.

What's your name, by the way?

9:14 pm  
Blogger taemin said...

Goooooooooood point. It's far to cold to do anything these days!

I'm Mike Miller. Your blog is a lot of fun. ^^

5:24 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

hi Mike!!!
Glad you are enjoying my blog. Shame I can't read yours, its all in Korean!

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home