Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

27.12.04

Yuletide celebrations

Friday/Christmas eve:

My boss did his usual and changed my timetable last minute. As a result, I had spent 40 min preparing for a completely different set of classes. I managed to piece together something for the elementary kids, but did not have time to prepare something for the Middle Schoolers. Afterall, 10 min to prepare for 7 classes is pushing it, when I only get 5 min in between each class to walk from one classroom to the next. Hence when it came to my last two classes/Middle schoolers, I legged it from the classroom and attached myself to the photocopier, to photocopy christmas carols as instructed. Of course it took longer than the 5 min time period allowed to get the copies done. My boss looked at the clock. "Louise, time, late!!!" and walked off before I had time to react. I was 3 min late for my class, as a result of his last minute change in timetable. My bosses brain opsoeyo!!!! (doesn't exist).

After hagwon, I popped round to Dana's school to drop of the Christmas cake as promised. The school was tiding up after their Christmas party, and I was invited to snack on some of the left over food. One of the parents had a really cute 18 month year old boy with him. He started singing, while the the 18 month year old starting dancing, bobbing up and down, doing the whole gangster hand gestures (arm over head hand pointing down to the floor in a stabbing gesture) and everything. I never saw anything like it, it was so cute!!! I couldn't stop coo-ing and laughing.

After that, I went straight home and straight to bed, to get some much needed sleep in preparation for tomorrow's celebrations.

I have noticed that my blogs often start with a complaint about my Boss. I really should consider stopping that, but unfortunetly, I really do have alot to complain about. Earlier this week, the Boss told all the teachers not to talk to me except in the classroom. Why??? I dont know. The teachers stuck to this for about a day, but by the next day they had given up, as they like me and enjoy talking to me. Ha!!!

Christmas day:

Awoke to the sound of the phone ringing, it was my parents phoning me at half past midnight their time. I made them (and Julia) open their presents while I was on the phone. They seemed to really like what I had sent them, and yes, everything did arrive in one piece!!! I instructed them to please, please, PLEASE buy and send me some deodorant as the Koreans dont sell it!!!

Chilled and pampered myself until it was time to go to party at Dana's for 5.30. I bought some cheese, yes, REAL CHEESE and had cheese on fried bread/toast for the first time in 3 1/2 months, which was a treat indeed!!! Spent the past week looking everywhere for a toaster, which proved fruitless. Nevertheless, the fried bread proved delicious, even tastier than ordinary toast. Yummy!!!

I arrived at the party at around 5.40 to be faced with a room full of strangers. I had met only 4 of them previously (Dana, obviously, Sandie, Andrew and Mina,)but once the drink started to flow conversation came easy, and we all began to have a good time. We couldn't get hold of a turkey, so we had a roast chicken instead, brought in by somebody from the airbase who actually has an oven. There were mashed potatoes, fruit (inc strawberries!!!) crisps, biscuits, and of course my christmas cake. I tried egg-nog for the first time, a drink composed of egg, and syrup/sugar from various fruit. It took me a while to elucite what the 'nog' in the egg-nog was!

Christmas Party 2004

Some of the girls I clicked with straight away,especially the Northern Ireland girl, Cara,despite them being a clique bunch. Cara and I seemed to have a lot in common, including gangster bosses. It was nice to be able to share my stories and experiences with someone who understood completely.

Christmas Party 2004

Meanwhile Andrew gave 3 speeches completely sloshed and swaying from side to side. Nobody was really listening to him after the first speech, bless him.

Christmas Party 2004

First Speech

Christmas Party 2004

Second Speech

Christmas Party 2004

Third Speech

Many photos were taken at the party, but not by me, as Ben, a bloke I had just met, took it upon himself to take my photos for me (yes, I did get my camera back!!!).

Christmas Party 2004

Photos of other people I met at the party:

Christmas Party 2004

Christmas Party 2004

Christmas Party 2004

Christmas Party 2004

Christmas Party 2004


At around 10pm we made it to the Wa-Bar, and we sat round on the biggest table in the middle of the bar. Ben continued to try and engage me in a deep and meaningful, which I participated in with wavering interest, as I was tired after coming down from my alcohol-high. As I sat at the table, I surveyed the group of people I was with; I found it both amazing and facinating that so many different personalities were able to engage and get along so well. The atmosphere was friendly and uplifting with no tension or awkardness.

After the Wa-Bar we went to a Singing room. On the way there it started to snow; the first sign of snow here in Korea.We stayed there until 5.20 in the morning, singing our hearts out to various tunes, both English and Korean, nobody caring if they sounded like a car back-firing, or cat with a serious case of pharyngitis. Andrew was still hammered, staggering around all over the room, and then jumping about like a hobbit on Speed.

Boxing day

Ben phoned me at 1pm ish, and we met at 3.15 to go for a walk round Eunpa lake. We veered of the beaten track (my idea, of course)and walked up and down hills, though trees and bogs. Ben's feet got completely soaked and his trousers splashed with mud. However, my jeans remained completely clean. We must have walked a good 7km until we finally made it round the other side of the lake and thus back to Miryong, were I live. We headed to Ms Donuts for hot chocolate and donuts, and then back to mine for a video.

This morning I am still exhausted. I arrived at Gomdo to find no one there, and I dont know why. I left them a note, written in English, assuming that the Teacher will look up any words he doesnt understand in the dictionary. I am sad to say that I have neglected my studies of the Korean language, and STILL dont know enough to leave a simple note.

So, its off to Hagwon for me now, while most of the teachers at the other schools get a week off...

3 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses, uggs outlet, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, polo outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, christian louboutin, burberry outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, michael kors outlet online, gucci handbags, burberry handbags, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, ugg boots, tiffany jewelry, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, replica watches, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, nike free, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, chanel handbags, uggs outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

10:39 am  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face, louboutin pas cher, true religion outlet, nike tn, nike roshe run uk, nike air max, polo lacoste, lululemon canada, nike air force, vans pas cher, nike free run, kate spade, hollister uk, michael kors, mulberry uk, michael kors pas cher, polo ralph lauren, oakley pas cher, burberry pas cher, converse pas cher, longchamp pas cher, jordan pas cher, replica handbags, coach purses, true religion outlet, guess pas cher, timberland pas cher, coach outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike air max uk, sac hermes, coach outlet store online, air max, sac longchamp pas cher, true religion jeans, nike free uk, hogan outlet, sac vanessa bruno, new balance, north face uk, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike roshe, nike air max uk

10:41 am  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg uk, barbour uk, karen millen uk, ray ban, canada goose outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler uk, supra shoes, pandora charms, vans, converse, links of london, doke gabbana, converse outlet, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, moncler, louis vuitton, toms shoes, canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, gucci, moncler, nike air max, canada goose, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler outlet, marc jacobs, montre pas cher, ugg, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, replica watches, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, moncler outlet, thomas sabo, barbour, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, lancel, swarovski, moncler, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton

10:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home