Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

19.9.05

Way of Life


Way of Life
Originally uploaded by LouiseL.
This photo shows a general countryside scene of the Infagao region. North and Middle Luzon is mainly countryside, with dirt tracks, paddy fields, run-down huts made of corregated metal and children playing bare-foot in the mud. This river is probably the village's only source of water.

Farming is the way of life in the country, though some families may own a snack shop on the side. Stray dogs are tolerated in large numbers, and wander the track that is the only road from one place to another.

The track led the van all the way back to Manila, the long route, as the road we needed was blocked. The rain was so heavy the day I arrived it caused landslide that had already taken a buldozer 48 hours to tunnel through. We had no choice but to take the 14 hour route rather than the 8 hour one, on dodgey terrain with a sheer drop on one side 2/3 of the way back. If it was not for the dedication of the driver and the tour guide, I would never have made it to my flight on time. To them, I owe a big "thankyou/malaming salamatpo".

Banaue itself was just as poor, though thankfully the place where I was staying was decent, apart from the dog fights outside my window in the dead of night. My tour guide decided never to place anyone there again.