Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

22.5.05

대둔산

오늘은 날씨가 좋고 제 건강이 나쁘 그래서 대둔산에 갑니다.
Today the weather is good and my heath is bad, so I am going to Daedoon mountain.

First I needed to get the bus to Jeonju, whereupon the taxi driver (and my travel guide) stated that a bus to the mountain leaves every 40 minutes. At Gunsan bus terminal I took a photo of the ticket machine (don't ask me why):

The ticket machine

Right in the middle of the machine is a button for a ticket direct to the moutain. What you don't know is that this bus no longer goes there directly. (So why don't they at least cover the button up?).

When I arrived at Jeonju bus terminal, at 11.30 the woman behind the desk informed me that the next bus is at 2.20pm, leaving me with nearly 3 hours of bordem and the frustration that when I finally get there (journey is 70 minutes) I will not have time to climb it, as originally intended. However, luckily there is a cable car to the top, so I will ride it and walk back down. The mountain is famous for its spectacular views, and its long cable bridge connecting two ridges. Even though I am a vertigo sufferer, I will brave the bridge and take some photographs to prove it. So yes, I have brought my camera with me, and I cannot wait to use it!

I am off to find a cafe to sit in so I can occupy myself for the next hour and a half.

.....

I found a coffee shop just above the bus station. While I drank coffee I studied Korean, after all I had nothing better to do. A little old lady enquired how she can use her mobile to phone a particular number (why did she own one in the first place if she doesn't know how to use it?). After making the phone call, she proceeded with the spanish inquisition that is routine for Koreans when meeting someone knew. In the end I got fed up with her questions, and played my 'Get out of jail-free card': Sorry, I don't understand, I don't speak Korean very well. Instant silence. Except for the complaints about how cold it is (personally, I was quite hot, but she is old after all).

The bus journey took 70 minutes from the bus terminal. I arrived at the foot of the mountain at 3.30pm, and realising that I had no time to climb the mountain on foot, I had no choice but to take the cable car both ways.

The cable car

This is the view of the cable car cable running up the mountain.

The following are taken from inside the cable car:

View from cable car 1

View from cable car 3

View from cable car 2

View from cable car 4

What I love about the mountains in Korea (other than the height and the dramatic inclines) is that even at a great height they are covered in lush-green trees. I was a little disappointed that the view was spoiled by the fact that it was cloudy, but in a sense it added sublime mystery to the landscape that stretched out below me.

Upon disembarking the cable car there was a small fore-court with a cafe. Here I took some more photos of the spectacular view:

From cafe

From cafe

From cafe

From cafe

From cafe

I turned out of the fore court and walked up some steep steps. At the top there was a Buddhist monk stood next to a portable shrine housing a wooden Buddha, hitting a drum (?), asking for money. He kindly let me take a photo of him, though unfortunately it's a little blurred:

Monk

He was wearing the lastest fashion in trainers...no monk is a real monk without them! (At least they were grey!).

To my right I noticed some short trees which looked like the Japanese Bonsai trees...or maybe they were short due to lack of nutrients. Who knows, I really do not know what I am talking about.

small trees

Here I climbed more steps and came upon a sign post: left for the bridge and on to the top, and right for the shortest way to the top. To prove it to myself that I could do it, I choose to do the bridge.

This is the bridge from the side I started at:

Bridge

These photos I took from the middle of the bridge (whist it was swinging from side to side-nice):

View from bridge

View from bridge

View from bridge

And this the photo I took from the other side, the proof that I walked the full length of the bridge:

Other side

At the end of the bridge was a small viewing point between some rocks. Here I took a photo of the staircase that leads to the summit of the mountain (click on it to enlarge it and get a better idea of EXACTLY how long and steep the staircase is):

Stairs from view point

Did I climb it? No. Why? Have you SEEN how steep those steps are? NO THANKYOU. Yes, that red thing that is practically parallel to the rock face IS the staircase. It was disappointing that I did not have the guts to climb to the top. Going up them would have been ok...its going down when I would have had panic attacks. Then again, the amount of arm-flapping I would have done, I could have flown down.

And finally....

me at cafe

Me, at the cafe having made my way back to the cable car.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be crossing that bridge for beans.

Great final photo too - how many attempts did you need to get a photo you were happy with?

5:17 am  
Blogger Louise said...

around 6. I'm not happy with this one either, as it has the 'big nose' angle to try to avoid the 'double chin' angle. However my nose is big anyway, so hey-ho.

2:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big nose?!

What the hell are you seeing that I can't?!

1:37 am  
Blogger hayanna said...

it's lovely..
being a korean yet i've never been there ...hah...^^;

9:34 am  
Blogger Mike said...

Is that you Lulu? Pretty lady! That's my fav....but I did enjoy the mountain shots.

I work in Windsor, On., all week. My company puts me up at the hotel here.I'm here with your picture on the screen, leaving youu a comment, when Nancy this lady that works here walks by and says, "...who's that?".

So very non-chalantly, I said ..."Oh that's my friend Lulu.".

Nancy says, " Really....she's beautiful!". I said,"Yeah, I know....you should see her in real life! Pictures barely do her justice!"

Anyway we liked the picture of you... and I do like the mountains too!

Have a great week. Hope your feeling better.

10:34 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

but hun, you've never seen me in real life!

Thanks for the compliment, you've made me feel much better. (did that conversation between you and your colleague really happen?).

Louise/Lulu/lu/lolly/whatever

2:17 pm  
Blogger Big Tom said...

I don't know if you are Irish, or Irish American, Irish Canadian, Irish Aussie, Irish Kiwi, Irish Springbok, or just plain Irish. Or maybe you're not Irish. Maybe you are Gaellic. Or maybe you hail from Burkina Faso. It doesn't matter.

I LOVE Daydoon Mountain. Been up it a million times. I really love the gauntlet one has to run to get to the ticket counter. Lots of restaurants and trinket shops.

One time, Peter Jensen and I took a trip to Daydoon Mountain. Peter loaded up on 호박엿, or pumpkin taffy. (Remember, the worst thing you can say to a Korean is "eat pumpkin taffy.") We found a nice 민박 and fell asleep.

As you well know, the floors in inns and lodges in Korea are heated. So the cube-shaped chunks of pumpkin taffy that were in Peter Jensen's pocket before he went to sleep ended up as a sticky gooey mass of warm god-knows what the next day. He had to take a pocket knife to his pants' pocket. So much for falling asleep on heated floor with pumpkin taffy in the old 주머니.

Everything said, I love Daydoon Mountain.

12:51 am  
Blogger Louise said...

none of those things. I'm just English ie from England.

2:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home