Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

14.8.05

Lotus Flower Festival

This weekend is a 3 day holiday weekend, which I spent in Gwangju and Muan. Saturday afternoon I travelled to Gwangju and met my friend Maria. Ourselves and some other foreigners dined in a Japanese restaurant, and then went for drinks in a nearby pub. After some fruitless searching, Maria and I spent the night in grotty motel, to get up at 7.30 the next morning. By 10.30 we arrived in Muan to be greeted by Sef, whom I met the evening before.

After dumping some of my belongings at his apartment, Sef took us to the Lotus Flower Festival, the national flower of South Korea (contrary to what Atom/Jiwang told me). We were there for a number of hours, and I got burned to a crisp. At one point we were accosted by a professional photographer; going by his ID badge, it is likely my photo will end up in some brochure or leaflet somewhere. Lucky me. As if I am not famous enough in my city, my sun-burned face will be plastered all over the country.

Anyway, we enjoyed our few hours in the sun, which was utterly exhausting despite it being a compartively dry day. We visited a tea tent, and watched part of a traditonal play, as well as walking round the lotus pond. I actually managed to film some of the play with my camera, but I don't know how to load it onto this site. *sobs*.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://100.naver.com/100.php?id=64267

근화(槿花)라고도 한다. 대한민국의 국화(國花)이다.

"(Mugunghwa) also called Geunhwa, is the national flower of the Republic of Korea."

http://endic.naver.com/endic.naver?docid=2292870&query=%B9%AB%B1%C3%C8%AD

무궁화(無窮花) 『식물』 a rose of Sharon;an althea

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?cstdy:2:./temp/~frd_N22J::

"...contrast between the rose of Sharon, Korea's national flower, which blooms robustly all summer long,"

If Atom told you 무궁화, Althea, or the Rose of Sharon he was telling you the truth.

11:46 pm  
Blogger Koreamaria said...

Hey! Where are your photos?
maria

1:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home