Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

27.6.05

The Final Count-Down: Asia (not 'Europe')

The Final Countdown-Europe

We're leaving together
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To earth, who can tell
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground (leaving ground)
Will things ever be the same again
It's the final countdown...
The final countdown
Ooh oh
We're heading for Venus (Venus)
And still we stand tall
Cause maybe they've seen us
And welcome us all
(yeah)
With so many light years to go
And things to be found (to be found)
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so
It's the final countdown...
The final countdown
The final countdown (the final countdown)
Ooh ooh oh
(interlude)
The final countdown
Ooh oh
I'ts the final countdown
The final countdown
The final countdown (the final countdown)
Ooh
It's the final countdown
We are leaving together
The final countdown




After some panicked reasearch, I have discovered that I need a visa to enter India. This would take at least 3 weeks to process...plus an extra week either side for postage (3-5 days special delivery):that's 5 weeks altogether. I leave for Jejudo (short vacation) on a domestic flight smack bang in the middle of my 2 month count down, and thus need my passport . Therefore the dates are looking pretty tight. To add insult to injury, the Indian embassy is requesting the visa fee to be paid in Pound Stirling via postal cheque...exactly how do I do this from South Korea in the given time frame?

Tomorrow will be spent ringing around Korean friends requesting immediate assistance on trips to my bank and post office, and another phone call to the Indian Embassy in London, for advice.

It looks like the original plan: Malaysia-Thailand-India-Christmas cake will be changed to Singopore or Phillipenes-Malaysia-Thailand-Christmas cake.

I had adjusted to my routine here in Korea far to well. It was only last week that it dawned on me that

1)This is not a permanent place of residence
2)My contract ends in 2 months
3)If I don't leave when I should I will get heavily fined and then booted rather uncerimoniously out of the country.
4)If I want to travel hassle-free, I need to get my white, western rear-end into gear (probably a low one to assist in acceleration).

Yes, I know I only have myself to blame.

My research tells me that I can stay for the following lengths of time without requesting visas:

Phillipenes: 21 days
Malaysia: 3 months
Thailand: 30 days.

Each country requests proof of onward travel upon arrival, thus I have to pre-book. To do this I must confirm exact leaving dates with the Boss, who is making this very difficult for me, as
1) he never has time to talk to me
2) he insists on a Korean teacher present to translate
3) He wants to keep me after my visa expires and is messing around with the dates.

The travel check-list so far:

  • Confirm leaving dates with boss
  • Seek advice from Indian Embassy
  • Book flights between each county. This means phoning airlines/travel agencies in each country.
  • Buy Travel guide for the Phillipenes
  • Get all neccessary medication, especially malaria tablets-this involves the Boss as he pays for my Medical Insurance.
  • Buy 3 months Travel Insurance
  • Continue reading up on Thailand, while waiting for delivery of books on Malaysia and Phillipenes.
  • Photocopy all important documents and send them to my parents.
  • Speak to my bank again and get them to understand that they MUST deliver my debit card to my address in Korea, not expect me to pick it up from the bank in England, as I will need it for my travels
  • Withdraw enough funds in travellers cheques from Korean bank account.

The general checklist:

  • Sort through belongings: what will stay in Korea, what I will send back to England (by ship) and what I can carry.
  • Get email addresses off EVERYONE
  • Get contact details from potential referees.
  • Get the boss to understand that HE CANNOT KEEP ME FOR AN EXTRA WEEK AFTER MY VISA EXPIRES AND HE MUST GIVE ME MY LAST MONTHS SALARY & SEVERANCE PAY. IF HE DOESN'T I WILL SPEAK TO MY AGENCY, AND PUT THE HAGWON ON THE BLACKLIST.
  • Transfer surplus funds to English bank account, and close Korean account.

I have a return flight to England on the 5th September. If the boss continues to be a nit-wit, I'm on it, with or without my last month's pay.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!

2:28 am  
Blogger Louise said...

thanks!

and thanks for your letter too, it was a nice suprise.

3:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 100% true or fair. I am a Korean guy, and married a British Woman.

10:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 100% true or fair. I am a Korean guy, and married a British Woman.

10:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 100% true or fair. I am a Korean guy, and married a British Woman.

10:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 100% true or fair. I am a Korean guy, and married a British Woman.

10:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 100% true or fair. I am a Korean guy, and married a British Woman.

10:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 100% true or fair. I am a Korean guy, and married a British Woman.

10:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 100% true or fair. I am a Korean guy, and married a British Woman.

10:30 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

She is a very lucky lady.
You are in the minority.

Not all Korean men are cowards, just 99%.

8:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - my internet connection was going down, and I ended up clicking a few times and repeated messages - sorry.

No I feel that I am lucky. But you know Gunsan is countryside city and very conservative even in Korean standard. Go to Seoul, and you will find people are very open and wild - some are even wilder and more open than wildest West.

Take care X.

4:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home