Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

14.10.05

Bangkok Grand Palace

My first free day was spent sleeping in the morning, and then visiting the Grand Palace in the afternoon. Before visiting the Grand Palace I headed straight for a Tourist Information office and picked up some maps. On the way from the office to the Palace I bumped into a crazy (in a good way) German man who goes by the name of Tobius (Toby). He kept me very entertained as we toured the palace together. A few Koreans took a photo or video-ed me, as I happen to be wearing the T-shirt with the Korean flag on it. I have found an interesting virtual tour on the net for this palace (and some other places that I did not visit), the link to which is the title of this blog.

The following information is from the Thailand For Visitors website, http://thailandforvisitors.com/central/bangkok/ratanakosin/prakeo/:

For just about 150 years, Bangkok's Grand Palace was not only the home of the King and his court, but also the entire administrative seat of government. Within the crenelated walls were the country's war ministry, state departments, and even the mint. Thai Kings stopped living in the palace full time around the turn of the twentieth century, but the complex remains the seat of power and spiritual heart of the Thai kingdom.The palace complex, like the rest of Ratanakosin Island, is laid out following the general outline of Ayutthaya palaces. The Outer Court, near where you enter the complex today, housed the government departments in which the king was directly involved, such as civil administration, including the army, and the treasury. The Temple of the Emerald Buddha takes up one corner of the complex next to the outer court.In the middle is the Central Court, where the residence of the king and the halls for conducting state business were located. You are allowed to look at the fronts of the buildings in the central court, but only two of the throne halls are open to the public, and only on weekdays.Behind the central court was the inner court. This was where the king's royal consorts and daughters lived. The inner court was like a small city entirely populated by women and boys under the age of puberty. Even though no royalty currently reside in the inner court, it is still completely closed off to the public.

5 Comments:

Blogger blancdenoir said...

hey lulu.
hope you're alright. i was pleased to see you at my blog but was lazy enough to wait until today to have close look at yours. back to germany i have to worry about your constitution.. it's "tobias" not "tobius" :))) *rotfl*
i like your flickr gallery - have you been in chang mai right after we met? and now back to bkk?
it's the greatest picture of me you could publish?! *lol*
stay in contact, toby

12:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you call yourself eleruen if it is not your name?

9:39 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

TobiAS,

I am sorry about the spelling mistake, won't happen again. Yes, it is the best photo I have of you, though I think it is more flattering than the one that comes up when you leave a comment. I will keep in touch xxx I miss your craziness...it kept me entertained all day!!!

12:03 am  
Blogger Louise said...

Anonymous,

Good question. To cut a long story short, technically it is not me who calls me Eleruen. A friend is considering writing a novel, and one of the characters is based on me...he has named the character Eleruen. Since my imagination is nowhere near as good as his, Eleruen serves as an excellent pseudonym/log-in name or whatever for anything I do eg flickr photos, this website etc, as I don't like to use my real name for stuff like that, and I can't think of anything else to use.

12:07 am  
Blogger abo-bder said...



شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض

شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى الامارات

شركة فك وتركيب المكيفات بالرياض

نقل اثاث من الرياض الى الامارات

12:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home