Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

22.9.05

Ray of Sunshine

Where am I now, you might be wondering. I am actually in Cebu City, the main city on the Island of Cebu. My tour ended at Waterfront Mactan Hotel, right across from Cebu airport on Mactan Island, which was an inconvenience as I really need to get to the city. Yes, I could have got the agent to put me in the middle of the city, but to be quite honest, with the number of things I needed to get done prior to my leaving Korea, it feel down right to the bottom of my list of priorities. Thus I stayed overnight at the hotel, and travelled to the city the next morning to find somewhere cheaper and more central.

Yesterday morning I took an Ocean Jet ferry from Tagbilaran on Bohol island to Cebu city pier. The ride was one of the bumpiest I have ever experienced; for the first time in my life I had a sea-sickness that was difficult suppress. The only thing that kept my American Breakfast down was the man sat next to me, who was the first non tour-related trustworthy Filipino I had met so far. I had a positive gut instinct about him, and so I kept talking to him. Raymond, 23, ex-bankworker who used to travel all over the Visayas for his job. Sporting good clothes and various digital accessories, it was obvious unlike 90% of the Filipino population, he is not short for money. On the way back to his home in Cebu city, to pack a bag so he can travel to another island to meet his female friends.

From that moment on he took me under his wing. Accompanying me to my hotel, but not my room, then meeting me later that afternoon to take me shopping to the Mall. There I bought a mobile phone, and applied for international roaming, though unfortunately I will have to stock up on cards to put credit on the phone. After that I went to a bargin shop and bought 9, long-sleved tops and 4 jogging bottoms, as the itinerary for Thailand (which I only managed to read and print off in Phillipines) advised such, for culture, anti-mosquito and general safety reasons. The total cost of the 13 items came 22 pounds, which was very easy on the bank balance. The phone however was around 60 pounds, a small fortune for increased safety.

The next morning I took a taxi from the hotel to the middle of the city to meet him. He found me a better and safer place to stay (again not following me to my room) for the same money as the place the tour guide booked for me (not part of the tour, just as a favour), and then took me to the Blue Horizons office. There I picked up and paid for my ticket to Bangkok, and bought a ticket from Bangkok to London, thus solving any potential problems with Thai immigration. The previous ticket (Bangkok to London) was reserved and held at the office in Bangkok, but not paid for, as they required me to turn up in person-impossible if Immigration will not let you through without proof of onward travel....a catch 22 situation. Buying the extra clothes meant that I had to make space in my luggage, thus I bundled my girly, impratical-for-Thailand clothes into a bag, and we went to a post office to have them posted back to England. I knew I needed clothes that covered me completely, but unfortunately just before I left, the ever fashion-concious Korean shops did not accomodate for my needs. Besides, I knew clothes would be much cheaper here in the Phillipines.

Without Ray, I would have been running all over Cebu city with a map, jumping from one jeepney or taxi to the next, the lost white female being the perfect target for mugging and Lord- knows-what-else. Being white, I am perceived as rich, being female, I am seen as weak, and to make matters worse, possibly a Russian prostitute. I don't think male travellers truely understand how lucky they are to be male, and the insurmountable danger that faces women when travelling, or in fact at any time in their lives.

Ray has now gone travelling to see his friends. He offered that I should come with him, but we decided against it as the island he is going to is rife with kidnappers and terrorists that specifically target Westerners. Instead I will travel to Moalboal tomorrow via a hired van, and spend the next 10 or so days relaxing by Panagsama Beach. I will pay a visit to Planet Action office who will find me somewhere to stay for around 5 pounds per night. Planet action also do adventure tours, which I can go on if there are other people. As a back-up, to kill the bordem I bought 4 books for around 3 pounds each:Angels and Demons, Deception Point (both authored by the magnificant Dan Brown-wow I should be a book reviewer), the Swords of Night and Day (some cheesey fantasy novel), and believe it or not, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. After a year in Korea, I have felt starved of books to read. I could have gone to the English bookstore in Seoul, but every time I went there, I never made it as far as the book store.

You must excuse that this particular blog is a little boring. I have not taken any pictures as removing my camera out from my bag is asking for trouble. The Korean tourists here are happy to whisk their cameras out willy-nilly, and walk round in fashionable clothes and jewelry, but being Asian, they are probably not as much as a target. I keep my passport, money, cards and phone hidden under my baggy, bargin-basement clothes...that is the amount of danger I could be in if I do not take care of myself and my belongings. I am taking taxis everywhere...its more expensive but worth it for my safety. Any photos I would take would be a portrayal of exactly how poor the average Filipino is...forced to pester even rob people on the street. Ray might join me next week in Moalboal...I hope he does, otherwise I can see myself getting very bored. Again, at least I will be much safer living on the resort than in the city.

2 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

Fair Question.

1)The Eighth Wonder of the World: Rice Terraces. I aim to see all of the Wonders of the World before I die.

2) The Chocolate Hills, a natural Wonder of the World.

3)I have Phillipine friends that I met in Korea, therefore I wanted to visit their country.

4)I wanted to see a third world country with my own eyes.

5)Coming from England, it is rare to get to relax on a beach as good as the ones in Phillipines.

6) I might take up diving lessons...Phillipines is supposed to be one of the best places to learn.

ps its my solo/debit card that is floating around somewhere, i have my credit card with me. i just wanted to avoid the interest and the surcharges.

9:48 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeezy boost 350
nike mercurial vapor
cheap jordan shoes
longchamp le pliage
nike zoom
true religion jeans
nike air force 1
nike air force 1 low
lebron 13
adidas nmd r1

12:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home