Adventures of a LuLu

Mischief and Mayhem in East Asia

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Steer away from the beaten track and leave a trail for others to follow.

2.8.05

Poked in the Stomach

For a while I have not been updating my blog as much as I used to. This is because these days the adventures are becoming less frequent, and so I very little report. Before going to Jejudo, I was planning to visit 4 different Asian countries, and so I had no time for adventures, only planning and research. After the incident in Jejudo, I am now limiting myself to just two countries (Philippenes and Thailand), yet I still do not have enough time to commit myself to having a life here in Korea.

Now that I only have 6 weeks left in Korea, I am finding myself becoming increasingly more Western. From the start I threw myself into the Korean culture, but now everything around me irritates me. If someone pokes you in the stomach a few times, it's not so bad. But if you are continually poked for 11 months, well, it starts to get just a little bit annoying. Those little things about Korea and Korean culture that I was able to put up with (or simply presented a facination) are now a huge vexation. I am getting snappy with some people, in particular any Korean men that have wound me up in one way or another...I no longer have the patience for ignorance and stupidity; (Let's face it men's 'stupidity' always bother women).

When I first arrived in Korea I felt very negative towards my own culture. Even after 6 months, I prefered the Korean culture to the British one. Then all of a sudden, maybe around a month ago, I found that I longed for the logical organisation, emotional maturity and comparitive open-mindedness of the British culture. No culture is perfect...Utopia does not exist, but England is definately Home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home